LOst? o.O

Wednesday 25 February 2015

THOERY MOVIE DAY - THE IMITATION GAME


HUMANITY AND SEXUALITY : IMITATION GAME


When I was first introduced to 'Imitation Game' by my friend telling how interesting it was, I thought it was a computer game. This mean that 'Imitation Game' was not popular and flavoured by my social circle, at least not 'before' I watched it. I always watched a random movie without knowing the storyline, but for 'Imitation Game' I insisted to watch the trailer the day before our movie outing day as I totally have a wrong impression on this movie! After watching the trailer, I was like 'Oh my god!', this maybe my new cup of tea! It turn out that this movie is about a extra ordinary brilliant guy named Alan Turing solving and cracking a 'puzzle' named Enigma Code which was used by Nazi during World War II. It maybe sound like a typical puzzle solving movie which will have a lot of talking, thinking, and Psychological monologue that make the whole movie quite boring to the public, but despite of all the above aspects, it discuss about issues like humanity, love, sexuality, politic, and etc which make the audience eagle to know what will happen next as it is what normal people like us always experienced and can understand.

On 11th February 2015, the movie day, we had shuffled all of our seats so the whole class would experience something different from the movie partners we usually had! The two movie partners I got is our dear lecturer Miss Sharmila and my class Dreaming Queen, Illin. Well, the actions of my two movie partners was having a big contrast as most of the time ms Sharmila understood too much and Illin was actually trying to catch the ball only... Several interesting experience during the movie is where Illin was get shocked by Alan came out as a gay and asking me 'Har?! He is a gay?! I just knew it!' when it was so obvious that he even write 'I Love You' code to Christopher in his flashback memory, and when I was still having a deep slow thought and enjoying my own touching moment towards the movie, Illin suddenly stand up and shout 'Okay! Toilet!' stun all my 'perceptual sensors and nerves' and successfullly stimulated my 'laughing cells'. Well, nextime, find the 'right person' to enjoy a 'touching moments' together. (Someone who need a people who is willing to explain the 'balls' you are trying to catch while the movie is still on going, you can come and find me, just remember to treat me a free movie ticket.)

Alan Turing, someone who was always tagged with unsuccessful and fail machine, was actually a hero who broke the Enigma code and end the world war earlier; a world war hero who was pressured by the 'government he served' and the 'world he saved' due to his sexuality then decided to commit a suicide, isn't that his whole life is so sarcastic? Speaking about how Alan broke Enigma code and brought the war to an end, I could only described it as another 'game or puzzle' for this genuine mathematician. It is liked the current war computer game which allowed you to plan a strategy and sending troops to fight others' camp and country, somehow we were the one who decide which 'troops must be sacrificed' in order to protect the bigger and more powerful army approaching which was quite similar to when he broke the code and they were the one who 'calculated the statistic and probability of war death' to stop Nazi army without letting the Nazi realized their Enigma machine was decoded. Many people had question his humanity towards the war fighter and their family when Peter Hilton found out that his brother was on the convoy which was going to be ambushed by the Nazi army forces and Alan decided not to stop the attack in order to keep this code breaking surprise from the Nazi. Alan believe in the rational of saving the world instead of using his selfishness to save Peter's brother and the 200 people on the convoy will keep their success in decoding Enigma machine so Nazi will not stop using Enigma code to communicate between their forces.

Sexuality was a bigger issue during the past; homosexuality was a crime during Alan's time; Alan Turing was committed as a homosexuality criminal after his efforts and glory in serving the country. This situation portrays how unacceptable homosexual was in the past society and law were set to against the homosexuality. Despite of how antipathy the society toward homosexual people, there was always party who could accept homosexuality for his benefit (John showing understanding not to reveal Alan's sexuality as to cover his spy identity) and because of love (Joan, the once to be his fiancee, accept his sexuality and even when he revealed his sexuality, Joan said 'So what? I had my suspicious. I always did. But we're not like other people. We love each other in out own way, and we can have the life together that we want. You won't be the perfect husband? I can promise you I harboured no ntention of being the perfect wife. I'll not be fixing your lamb all day, while you come home from the office, will I? I'll work. You'll work. And we'll have each other's company. We'll have each other's minds. Sounds like a beter marriage than most. BECAUSE I CARE FOR YOU, AND YOU CARE FOR ME. AND WE UNDERSTAND MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE EVER HAS.' Love is not about sex or sexuality, love is about 'you and me', the feeling of caring and sharing, and understanding. I had done an action which is coming out to one of my dear friends which same as what Alan had done but only his best friend Joan accept and understood him not the others in the society, I just want to test how will the modern society reaction and thinking towards homosexuality. The interesting part is my friends that i came out to accept who I am and they can understand that 'love is universal' and is not bounded to race or sex. One of my friends told me, 'It’s good that you came out to me, because I knew homosexual is human too, you can have female close friends like I can have Male close friends. Did you realise that you just share a secret star rated 5 stars tomne which actually strengthen our relationship and showing that you trust me? Well as long as you don’t fall in love with me then everything is ok!! Haha because I have my lovely husband already!' I am lucky I have a lots of friends who can understand homosexual and I think Alan Turing just born at the wrong era which the society reject homosexual and indirectly causing his suicide, but he born at the right time to save the world.

At the end of the movie, it was stated Alan Turing was forgave by the Queen Elizabeth as a World War hero 50 years after the war end. It takes time for people to understand and forgive others who hurt them before. I had some experience arguing with my friend for few cents during primary school and due to my immature thinking, I boycott her. Now both of us had forgiven each other, but we did not know how to restart our relationship. Forgive and forget, do not wait until we loses the one we love only we realise it is already too late. Luckily it was not too late for the British to forgive Alan and revealed his big contributions abd success in creating the first prototype for the modern computer.

There is still lot and lot of issues in 'Imitaion Game' which cannot finish discussing them in an article. The movie ranking no.1 in my heart is 'Saving Mr.Bank', which is another worth movie, the movie rank after it now is this brilliant 'Imitation Game'. Rumours and historians had critique that most of the storyline in the movie is not the exact and real history, but to me it is not much different whether the storyline is true truth or just something made out by the writer, the important part is this movie make me think, raise and discussing about the awareness and issues stated in 'Imitaion Game'. Well, enough reading, now its time for whoever is reading this article to grab a ticket (or bought a DVD) to watch the 'Imitation Game'!

No comments:

Post a Comment